– Why do you think it is important to read Capital?
– What do you want to get out of these discussions?
And some things to consider when doing the reading (Ch. I Sections 1 & 2):
– What is a commodity?
– Why does Marx start a book on capital with the commodity?
– What can the contents of these first two sections tell us about Marx’s methodology (historical materialism)?
– What is value? Where does it come from?
– What is use-value?
– What is exchange-value? When does exchange value historically occur?
– What are the dual characteristics of labour? In what ways do they differ?
– What does Marx mean by “socially necessary labour-time”?